Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sunday at the Races

Today I went with my sister and brother in law or rather they came with me to the Wesley Clover Equestrian Centre. We went to see the Canine Equine Relay.  It's an event that I've always wanted to do but now Beckett is too old and Keltic is absolutely frantic about horses (not as bad as he is about squirrels but almost) so he's probably not a good candidate.

We got there in enough time for me to talk to many of the dog handlers that I knew. We were lucky enough to get a table ringside in the bar so we had a good view and could have a couple drinks while we were there. The drinks weren't cheap but then admission to the horse show was only a donation for the parking so it wasn't a bad afternoon.

The Canine Equine Relay has been held for the last five years at one of the International competitions at Wesley Clover. The teams are made up of a horse and rider and a dog and handler. The fastest team wins and it is time plus faults.  The winning horse and rider get a $5,000 prize.  The dog and handler  win a big ribbon and a gift bag but then they get to have fun and don't have to pay to play.



David and Gracie

Gracie in the weaves

Heading out for the photo shoot
 These next three pictures are my sister's. She had a much better camera than me; I only had my phone.




If you want to see  some good photos of the dogs and horses go to Wesley Clover's FaceBook page and Wendy Beard's Flicker album.




It was a nice way to spend Sunday afternoon with dogs and horses.  I would definitely do it again and now that I know that it is very dog friendly, I might even bring the dogs, maybe Keltic would get tired of barking at horses.


3 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Love the action shots of the horses in their jumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day out! Haven't ever heard of that event before. Love the riders in costume....makes it more of a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the photos from this wonderful event you attended. Gracie in the weaves is such a great shot. Have a wonderful rest of your week.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.