Saturday, May 29, 2021

Why Do the Good Die Young

I'm still numb. I'm still in disbelief. In less than a year and half I've lost my two best boys Beckett and Keltic. It's not fair, they weren't old. Beckett was only ten and half and Keltic was only nine years, two months and few days.  This picture of me with Beckett and Keltic was taken on 17 Dec 2019; on 23 Dec 2019, I would lose Beckett to hemangiosarcoma. Fast forward to this year and on 25 May I let Keltic go as a result of kidney disease. 

Keltic should have had more years. It just wasn't fair, their lives are so short as it is.  

Keltic was born on 17 Mar 2012, St Patrick's Day. I had the Keltic on my list of puppy names and it seemed auspicious that the litter was born on that day. It's actually the name of a trucking company in New Brunswick. With Keltic, I wanted to link his name with that of his lineage, his sire was Triadic's Mach Three Turbo and there was nothing I liked that tied in with that. His grandsire was Bach's Razor's Edge, with that I came up with Triadic's Keltic Livinonthedge. "Liv'in on the edge" is a line from the song Shamrock City by the Irish Descendants. I used it in Keltic's memorial video. 

Keltic Remembered

He was a pudgy little pup but he was ready for anything.  He fit right in with Tucker and Beckett.



Keltic was quite the character. I always called him the "bad son" but really he wasn't bad, maybe a little naughty.  He loved to take things from the garbage can, something he never grew out of, so basically I ended up using the garbage cans in the bathrooms only for things he could tear up. He also never did learn to wake me up when he had to go out at night so I ended up having to sleep with my bedroom door closed so he would scratch on it. Boy, do they ever train us. He also was very opinionated. He had opinions on everything, walking down the street barking his way through the neighbourhood, barking and lunging at me because we had finished our toast or when he thought I'd handled something wrong in agility (which happened quite often and he was probably right).


Keltic did well at agility, too bad he didn't have a better handler so I could have figured out what the problem was with his weaves at trials.  We competed in the K9 Kup, a local agility league with the Snow Dogs; in our first year all the other dogs on the team but Keltic and a Keeshond were also sled dogs. Keltic qualified for Nationals at every Regionals I entered him in, except one. That year, when the Nationals were close to our home, he missed by 0.4 points; so he never did get to go to a National Championship. I think it's my one regret with Keltic. I should have taken him when I took Beckett to the Nationals in Montreal; I would have had those memories but I guess he really didn't care. I never thought Keltic would get a Masters title but he surprised me by getting a Masters Snooker title just before the pandemic hit here and a Masters Jumpers title, just last fall when things were allowed to open just a little.



I think if you asked Keltic though, he would have rather done herding or lure coursing, especially lure coursing. Keltic did his herding instinct test and was quite the natural, he loved rounding up the sheep that strayed off.  But lure coursing, after the first time, he was hooked, he would just get frantic to go and chase that little bit of fur or plastic. I would have tried chaseability with him but the problem was that the few times I let him do lure coursing, afterwards he would very nearly collapse. The first time it happened, I thought it was just the heat and the length of time he ran but it happened each time I let him try luring. 

Keltic - Lure Coursing











Keltic - Herding Instinct Test

Keltic was a real ham in front of a camera. Beckett was always seemed so serious. It was Keltic who made the photo sessions and made it hard to chose which photos to buy when we had professional photos done. 





He should have had more time to enjoy more travels, more camping trips, more walking and hiking, more trips to the beach and more agility trials. But that's not to be. 

I didn't get to spoil him on that last day but we spent a glorious day outside. We did get to take some special walks while he was still well enough. I hope he enjoyed that time together. I hope now he's running with Beckett and all the rest of the dogs at the Bridge. 



Keltic, know this, you were a GOOD SON! 






5 comments:

  1. 😭🐕💔
    He had a GOOD Life 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hearts break for you, Helen. Keltic was such a handsome boy and such a smart and gifted one. He left far too soon. Huge hugs to you♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Helen, I'm crying for your Keltic. It's true, he should have had lots more time with you. I don't understand why so many shelties are going early to the bridge because of kidneys. Poor little boy. He sure was a handsome one, and I am just so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so sad to hear about your loss. Sending lots of hugs and POTP. What beautiful doggies they were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How heart breaking. I'm so sorry. There are never great words at this time. Run free over the rainbow bridge dear ones. Prayers for healing for you.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.