Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Remodel

About three years ago I had a sun room addition put on the back of my house. Even though I put in skylights the dining room always felt very dark and closed in.  Last fall, I had two extra windows added to the dining room at the side of the house.


The two windows made a big difference, the room felt bigger and brighter but now I had to either repaint the room or add wainscoting. Since I never grew to like the bottom colour, even though I chose it, and because the chair rail wasn't installed all that well, I decided to go with wainscoting.

Before

Window opening

Framing

Windows Installed
As the windows were installed in late fall last year, 2018, I decided to wait until this year to have the wainscoting done.  The work started the Tuesday after Easter and took just a little over a week.

Top and bottom rails installed

Battens installed

Top cap and cove moulding

All painted

Room back together.
It came out just liked I hoped, the room looks even brighter and looks taller as the wainscoting draws your eye up.


I only put two of the drapery panels back up but now that the wainscoting is done the room needs new sheers and I'm thinking it probably needs new lighting too. Next year's project is to get the floors refinished. 


2 comments:

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.