Friday, August 6, 2021

Popsilos

So last week I went on a drive without the dogs to see painted silos and cows. I didn't think it would be much fun for the dogs to be in the car just to drive around and I didn't know whether there would be any place to walk them at the sites so they were better left at home.  I had planned to have lunch at the St Albert Cheese factory and buy some cheese curds but when I arrived, there was a long line up so I took my pictures and went on.  

This is the fifth year for Popsilos but I had never heard of it before, some of the farmers who agree to have the murals painted on their silos also have produce markets so I would guess this might bring our more people to those markets, one of the farms even has a corn maze but I didn't drive out to that one.  I planned to visit only four of the popsilos, the other three being about another 40 to 50 minutes away. I knew that along the route and at the cheese factory I would also see some of the painted cows that were put on display last year when the cheese curd festival was cancelled. I planned my route to see two of the silos, then have lunch then finish up the drive with the other two silos but the cheese factory was very busy at 11:30am and with COVID times they had to allow a limited number of people into the store at a time.  













Most of the farm properties were accessible, not sure how close you could actually go but the view of the murals was better from a distance anyway, so I didn't get too close. The second silo I saw, the property was off limits so you just had to view it from the road and there wasn't a lot of parking but since it was on a side road, not a lot of traffic either.  At the last silo I went to they actually had a few parking spots near the barns and signs showing you where you could go. 

Anyway it made for something different to do, maybe next year it could be a day out with some friends. 


4 comments:

  1. I would SOOOOO do that tour. Combine barns and art, I'm all in! It would be interesting to learn about the artists too. Are these murals on a canvas that is then hung on the silos? Or are they painted right on the silos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to "stops and hours" on the web site menu, then click on each farm, there is a description of the mural. I think the mural is painted on the silo but I'm not sure. It might just be a wrap since they change each year.

      Delete
  2. Those are some amazing sights! We never would have thought about putting huge paintings on silos!

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.