Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Booming Times in the Office

There's a new building going up right beside my work and since we face the construction site, its hard not to take some time to watch what's going on once in while. Last week we got the notice that they were going to begin to do some blasting which will continue until end November or early December.  I brought my camera in to work this week and took a couple videos of them charging the holes and setting off the charges.  It's rather interesting to see how close they can be to the actual explosion by using the blast mats which contain any of the fragmentation from the bedrock.  What you see in the video happens three to five times a day, sometimes its a little more dramatic.



Definitely not as exciting as doing open detonations on a demolition range.  It will be interesting, though, to watch the building go up beside us but there's no doubt that we'll be losing our view of the Gatineau Hills.

1 comment:

  1. The music in that video was sooooo spooky. I've never seen anything like those blast mats, what a neat idea.

    Made me laugh when I realized the source of your particular interest in this -- I'm sure you've seen much more dramatic stuff! lol.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.