Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Sudden Loss

Before it's old news I wanted to write a blog post about a loss that our agility community suffered this past week. I didn't really know him so I don't have any details but this week Adrian Rooyakkers passed away suddenly.
For those of you that follow my blog, you've seen me write posts about the Canada Cup. The Canada Cup is hosted by Adrian and his family at their kennel in Ariss, Ontario. Royakkers Kennel is an agility heaven; large open space, a pond, outdoor ring, an indoor ring with artificial turf, just a wonderful place to go and compete. For me, the Canada Cup is likely as close to an international competition as I will ever see. The courses are always challenging and fast. 

Adrian was also a great agility handler and trainer. When he ran his dogs he looked as if he was running in slow motion, he never had to race his dog but always seemed to be in the right position. He was a World team member for both the AAC and CKC World teams. I'm not sure that the link will work but it is for a video where Adrian directed his dog around the course with verbals alone. The videographer called them the Lazy Handler videos, there are about 4 that they made just to show it wasn't just dumb luck.


I'm not sure there will be a Canada Cup next summer now. I had made the decision not to go as you have to jump your regular jump height and I have put both Beckett and Keltic down to 10". But now if there is another Canada Cup, we'll go and give it all we have in way of  honour to a great agility handler and sportsman.



The last link is to Beckett's Grand Prix finals run from this year's Canada Cup with Adrian as the judge.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend! He was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad. I hope the Canada Cup continues in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so very sorry for your loss. What a special man he was♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. He was impressive. Ive seen another video he did. That is so impressive and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this, it means so much to myself and family. It is so wonderful to know he was so loved and will be so missed.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.