Monday, October 2, 2023

Tunnel, Tunnel, Tunnel

Well, I got home from my river cruise last week, but more about that trip later, this post is about the our last outdoor agility trial of the season. I entered Liam in three events, a Starter Gamblers, and two Advanced Standards. 

Starter Gamblers

When I saw the main Gamble, I knew Liam could do this one. For those that don't know, Liam has an eyesight issue that makes it hard for him to judge his take off point for jumps. As a result, he stutter-steps or comes to a complete halt before jumping. This, of course, uses up valuable time which in the main gamble is really limited. 

We started with the progressive mini gamble, the tire, the dog walk and the tunnel. I thought Liam had missed the dog walk contact but knew that even if he only did the tunnel with me behind the line that would be 8 points just for the tunnel. As Liam came out of the tunnel, I heard the judge call 18, so he must have had a toenail in the yellow contact zone. I tried to get him back in the tunnel from behind the line but had to cross the line to get him in the tunnel for another 4 points. I then went up the middle doing the jump, A-frame and the jump before tunnel 3 of the main gamble. I had planned to do tunnel 3 twice going back to the jump before the A-frame but during the judge's briefing, a question from another competitor reminded me that we could do the main gamble obstacles backwards, so I decided to do the tunnels in reverse order. We did the panel jump after tunnel 1 and I was trying to get Liam into the weaves when the buzzer sounded. I put him back into the tunnels and just kept running and shouting tunnel, tunnel, tunnel. We had 18 seconds to do the main gamble, we did it in under 12 seconds. A 35 point opening for our second Starter Gamblers qualifying score.  Liam now moves to Advanced Gamblers and now needs two Starter Snooker Q's for his Starter Games title. 

His next two events were his first Advanced events. Liam ran really well, although it helped that there was no long line of jumps on the courses and in some cases, we were doing the backsides of jumps which helps Liam figure out his take off point. In our first Advanced event, we missed our weave entry and Liam bailed off the dog walk, perhaps thinking it was the teeter, but his run was nice, and we were nearly 12 seconds under the standard course time. In our second Standard run, I thought Liam might bail on the teeter, but he did all of his contacts nicely; his only fault was missing again the weave entry. Independent weave entries are in the cards for our practices now. Liam still ran well and was nearly 10 seconds under the course time. Liam won't ever be the fastest dog on course but if he can keep the bars up and listen as well as he did this past weekend we should do fine with agility. 

Advanced Standard 1

Advanced Standard 2

Our next trial will be indoors in Nov. I registered Liam for two Advanced Standards and one Starter Snooker. Hopefully we'll have another good day of agility.




1 comment:

  1. In my book, you will always be a winner, Liam, as I have never tried any of this kind of stuff before.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.