Sunday, April 1, 2018

Happy Air Force Birthday!

Happy April Fool's Day, Happy Easter and Happy Air Force Birthday!!

Yes, in addition to being April Fools Day and Easter Sunday today is the birthday of the  Royal Canadian Air Force.

My family has had quite a history with the RCAF. My dad, my mother's brother Terence, and even my mother were in the Air Force.

Cpl D.H. Stewart

Scope Wizard
My mum was only in for a short time, in those days a woman had to be single so she had to get out once she was engaged to be married. 

Summer Training Course, 1954

Anne in uniform
By the time two of my sisters and I joined the military, it was one unified service in Canada but after we joined the three uniforms of the Army, Navy and Air Force were re-instated. All three of us were for a time assigned Air Force uniforms.  I switched to the Army uniform after serving over 11 years in Army positions and another sister changed trades and switched uniforms too.

Me getting  a black Armoured Corps beret
Although there is still only once Command structure in the Canadian Forces, even the names have been reinstated so now again we have the Royal Canadian Air Force. The name was officially adopted on 1 April 1924 and so this year marks the 94th birthday. 

So Happy Air Force Birthday, it is NOT an April Fools Joke!

Oh and Happy Easter too!!





6 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, happy Air Force day and happy April Fools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy day. Hope you had a wonderful Easter. Thanks for sharing about the Canadian Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your family has provided a lot of service to your country. And probably, in a way, to ours as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially since we have joint air defence. My dad was posted to Malstrom AFB, in Great Falls, Montana for three years. I did grades 4 to 6 there.

      Delete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.