Monday, October 14, 2019

Walktober - Lime Kiln Trail

My niece does a birthday photo shoot for her boys every year and this year was no different.  She posted pictures from this year's photo shoot of her oldest boy, my oldest great nephew and it inspired me to go hike that trail.





The photo shoot was at a trail across town but not that hard to get to as it is off one of the major roads that crosses the National Capital Commission Greenbelt.  We are lucky in Ottawa that the NCC maintains such green spaces with hundreds of kilometers of trails.

The lime kiln ruins are just 700 meters from the parking lot but the whole trail which goes around a bog is four kilometers (2.5 miles).  I didn't quite do the four kilometers as I took a short cut on a path through the woods rather than staying on the trail and going all the way around the woods.




Looking down into the kiln

Kiln

It was another enjoyable walk. We ran into a school group on a field trip and Beckett and Keltic got plenty of attention.

My photo subjects weren't as cooperative as my great nephew but I did get a few good shots. The first shot is of Beckett and Keltic at the Lime Kiln ruins, the second is of the walls of the small quarry behind them and the third is them on walls of what used to be the powder magazine for the quarry.




The trail itself is wide, most of it looks like it was once a road through the area so it makes for an easy walk.

View from the parking lot

Boardwalk

Marsh

Burnt Out Bog

Still Charred
 There was a fire in the area in 2012 and, while you can still see the impact of the fire, the area is now regenerating. This is a trail, since now I know about it, will likely do again. Dogs are allowed on the trails from 1 Apr to 30 Nov, during the winter they put in cross country ski trails here and then the dogs are not allowed.

I hope you enjoyed our second walktober walk, perhaps there will be another one.  I'm trying to do 10,000 steps a day. I have been pretty successful but not so yesterday since it was Canadian Thanksgiving and I only got in one walk in the morning before spending the afternoon and evening enjoying a wonderful turkey dinner with family and friends.

If you want to join in walktober go to Officially Walktober.

Happy Thanksgiving!




9 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous walk. The pups must have had a great time. So much to see and sniff. We think a 'return' visit should be on the schedule to see all the seasons.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, we would like to see it in all 4 seasons! It's a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful walk with so much history! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another walkie? How fun! And what a pretty trail, too. Looks like your boys are enjoying the great outdoors and all the new smells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful walk, Helen. Maybe I should have cut mine into pieces ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your second Walktober very much, Helen. The Lime Kiln is a pretty neat site and I found the info board interesting, learning about its use, abandonment and restoration. Of course, the dogs make attractive props! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful walk. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Helen - Thank you for talking us on a second walk. I loved reading how your great nephew's photo lead you to this adventure. Inspiration is truly everywhere! Once again, your photography is stunning (as are your models). :D #Walktober

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Helen, for sharing your walk with us. Very nice trail and interesting history of the Lime Kiln. I'll look it up next time I'm in Ottawa. #Walktober

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.