Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Alba Gu Bràth


This year's big trip is to Scotland at the end of August.  It's a self-driving trip beginning and ending in Edinburgh. Both of my father's parents were born in Scotland. My grandfather at 7 Thistle Street in Kirkintilloch which is outside of Glasgow. You can street view the address, if you like. My grandmother was born on a farm called Clachaig in Kilmory on the Isle of Arran. We'll spend two nights on Arran so hopefully we'll get to stop by this farm. I tried contacting the Arran Museum as they have a genealogical centre but my emails bounced back; I also tried contacting the farm but haven't had a reply. 

Last week we bought Explorer Passes from Historic Scotland, the passes get us admission to Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle and Urquhart Castle, all places we were planning to go to anyway.  We also booked our tickets for Stirling Castle as they are timed entrances.

During Easter, a post popped up on my FaceBook feed that the RCMP Pipes and Drums would be attending the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I clicked on the link in the post, and it was the Tattoo website.  The Tattoo will be on when we arrive, so I checked out the website and there still were plenty of tickets. They weren't cheap, but then we thought it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, so we went ahead and bought tickets for the night after we arrive. I couldn't get the ones I wanted as the website won't let you leave a single seat, but the ones I got should be fine.  

Royal Edinburgh Tattoo 2023 - Far Side of the World

There's something about pipes that just stirs the soul; but maybe you need to be Scottish.  Anyway, I sure hope it doesn't rain as you can see from the video it is outdoors and they've never cancelled for weather, just COVID.


2 comments:

  1. Loved the video and I hope it doesn't rain for you. I bet you can't wait for August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video was amazingly wonderful. Wow. Beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.