Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Camping Meal Preparations

Hard to believe on a day like today when it's barely above freezing that in less than a month, we'll be on our first camping trip. The first trip is to three Ontario provincial parks, and we'll only be gone just over a week. 

Our big trip is down to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. We just finished doing all the bookings and we'll be gone a month. It was an adventure booking the Nova Scotia provincial parks as they lock the web site for the 15 minutes prior to the time reservations open, then you're assigned a random number that is your place in line to get onto the web site. The first morning we tried to book a park, my sister got in right away, and I had a five-minute wait. As a result of that reservation system, we didn't get any of the sites we wanted but we did get into all the parks we'd hoped to, except one, so we had to change our itinerary a bit. 

So, I've been doing a bit of meal prep, it makes it easier when you have part of the meal done. So far, I have made savoury breakfast muffins and egg bites. The muffins tasted delicious both warm and cold, the egg bites on the other hand will need some added flavour, maybe hot sauce. The muffins have sausage, onions and cheese. The egg bites are made three ways, bacon and cheese, basil and tomato and mushroom and onion.

Savoury Muffins


Egg Bites
I've also prepared some evening meals. I made Donair meat; I still have to make the sauce.  I've also made the filling for Quesadillas. The Donair loaf doesn't look attractive but with all the spices it sure tastes good. With the Donair meat, we've found when camping that Donair pizzas are easier than making individual Donairs. We use Naan bread for the crust, the Donair sauce as pizza sauce then Donair meat, tomatoes, onions and mozzarella cheese for the toppings. I'm thinking maybe I'll make some pulled pork too. That makes an easy supper, you can either do tacos or sandwiches and pulled pork freezes well. 
Quesadilla filling

Donair loaf
We do eat quite well when we're camping. Not all our meals are elaborate, sometimes it is just hot dogs and chips. Occasionally, we do eat in restaurants, especially if the weather is bad, but if you do that very often it gets expensive. 

I'll need to get my camping grocery list put together soon so that I don't forget any of the key ingredients for the meals. I once forgot the shrimp to make a Shrimp Sambuca. 

I sure hope the weather warms up in the next few weeks. Camping is not as much fun if it's too cold.


2 comments:

  1. I hear you with prepping for camping. We do the same thing boating. You have wheels or a tent and we have a boat. It's much alike.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so yummy and we can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.