Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Birthday Tucker

Tucker would have been twelve years old today. Since he was born on Halloween, I always dressed him in costume and I told the little trick or treaters that came to my door that it was his birthday.  The reaction from the littlest ones was priceless, they would tell him "Happy Birthday" and usually run and tell Mom or Dad, "It's the doggie's birthday." I'll miss that this year.

Devil Prince
Tucker's passing still brings me some worries; should I have taken him to the vet, could they have saved him, was he in real discomfort? I think I kind of knew in my heart though that it was his time and wanted to have a few more hours with him; I thought that if I took him the vet's office I might have had to make that last decision and would left the office without him and not had the chance to spend those last few hours with him.

Tucker and big brother Gryffon
I found this poem on line shortly after his passing to the Bridge. I had never seen this one before even though I looked for poems such as this when Ceilidh passed away.  Perhaps my heart did hear the whispers of Tucker's voice. Tucker seemed to have a peaceful passing and even though I was with him, he went without a sound while I was asleep so I didn't actually see him leave on the journey.

While you could not speak the words,
I could hear the whispers of your voice.
Telling me it was time to go,
to celebrate your life and rejoice.

You decided it was time to go and
find your resting ground.
You lay down your tired head and
went without a sound.

In my heart I know you loved me,
as much as I loved you.
I pray you've found the peace,
that's helped to see me through.

I thank you for all the joy in my life 
and the smiles you've brought to me.
May God guide you on your journey and
may your spirit always run free.

Anonymous


Thank you, Tucker, for all the wonderful memories!!

Happy 12th Birthday, Tucker!!

Tucker and Ceilidh

Fly free, Tucker Boo! See you on the other side.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Tucker. Its always hard to make that decision and everyone questions themselves, "did I do the right thing". Im sure you did and he knows it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Tucker.

    I'm not sure there ever is a "right thing", you simply do what you think is best at the time. I think Tucker was lucky to die at home, where he felt safe and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tucker! I like your Halloween costume and you were the most handsome Devil Prince.
    I think you had made that right decision and I'm sure Tucker wanted to spend his last hours with you.
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heres hoping Tucker is having a fun filled HOWL-O-WEENIE. We are supporting you in your decision, what is best for Tucker was correct!!!

    Your Furiends
    Susie & Bites

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Angel Tucker! Halloween will be a difficult time, however it can be happy to as you think back to all those wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is always that "what if question" when you lose a loved furbaby. I think I have done it with EVERY dog I have ever owned - could I have done more, why didn't I notice sooner - and so on. But you know what you have to remember the most - that for 12 years you gave all the love you could and he returned it - that he was a happy and centent little guy and you have WONDERFUL memories like halloween to remember. Remember the good things - not the what ifs because the good thing are what made Tucker - Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((((hugs)))) my heart broke when I read this. I went through the same feelings (and still do) every year since my cat passed in 2007. It was the hardest decision that I ever had to make and I do believe they "tell" us when it is time. Please do not beat yourself. Tucker was incredibly loved and THAT is what matters. The poem was beautiful. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Tucker. Now every Halloween you will have all those great memories to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely tribute ... hang in there.. always so bittersweet to remember them!

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.